With a record amount of Australian crew competing in the Clipper 2013-14 Race, the search for the next generation of intrepid Australian explorers eager to take on the world’s toughest oceans is already underway.
The 12 strong fleet of Clipper 70s competing in the ninth edition of the race is expected to arrive in Albany Western Australia from Monday, 25 November after tacking the 5,000 mile race from Cape Town, South Africa.
Sydney-based Kirsty Whyte will lead as Managing Director - as a circumnavigator on board the winning entry in the Clipper 2009-10 Race Kirsty comes with a wealth of experience. Kirsty will be holding a series of crew recruitment presentations for the Clipper 2015-16 Race while the fleet are based in Australia over the next two months.
Crew presentation dates:
• Thursday 21 November 2013 – 18.30 at Fremantle Sailing Club, Fremantle, WA
• Sunday 1 December 2013 – 15.00 at Albany Boat Shed, Albany, WA
• Wednesday 18 December 2013 – 19.00 at Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron, Sydney, NSW. There will be a boat on display for open boat tours from 16.00 – 20.00
• Sunday 22 December 2013 – 16.00 at Cruising Yacht Club Australia, Sydney, NSW.
• Thursday 9 January 2014 – 18.30 at Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron, Brisbane, QLD
Australia is a key market for Clipper Ventures, with a strong competitive track record of Australian boats and skippers having won the last two Clipper Races. Australians make up the second-highest crew contingent after Britons. The new base will mean three out of the four stages of Clipper Race training will be on offer in the country, removing the need to travel to the UK for courses.
After a brief stopover in Albany, Western Australia the fleet will race the 2150 miles to Sydney, where the teams will prepare to compete in the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race on Thursday 26 December. The fleet are expected to arrive in in Brisbane from Monday 6 January.
For more information about the recruitment presentations contact Kirsty Whyte at Australia@clipper-ventures.com or call +61 (0) 2 9363 2020.