Background Image
the race of your life APPLY ONLINE

Race 2 - Day 6

Derry~Londonderry~Doire - Kristi Wilson

14 SEP 2013 - Race 2

Today was another eventful day on board Derry~Londonderry~Doire, including my first go at mother duty while at sea. Meaning another crew member from the opposite watch and myself are responsible for all the cooking and teas that go out the hatch.  Sean started the morning with, "Who's coming on watch? You better be fully caffeinated, it's going to be a busy morning!" I found it difficult to contain myself below deck with all the excitement going on above.

We started the day by changing the sails once again to flying the kite. In the beginning I tried just taking pictures of the evolution but soon jumped in to offer a hand at the bow to bring in the headsail.  The team worked together like a well-oiled machine to make sure all the lines were rigged correctly for the perfect hoist.

Within the next hour our navigator popped below deck, we need someone on the bowsprit, we have lost the loaded sheet AGAIN! Prepping for lunch was paused and I sprang into my boots, lifejacket, and safety lines then up on deck to attach a line to the tack to act as an alternate for a letter box we are REALLY getting creative! The tack just happens to be attached to a platform extending from the bow that is about 4 feet long and 6 inches wide. My feet skimmed the top of the water as we were rolling through the waves. Talk about an adrenaline rush!

That was just the beginning, again, within the hour someone shouted below asking for more hands, we were experiencing our first ripped kite! The team quickly gathered to prep for a drop of the medium weight, a hoist of our Yankee, then a hoist of our heavy weight, then a drop of the Yankee. Again, flawless teamwork!

By the end of this, lunch was ready to be served and the entire crew was knackered. I was off to take a nap before having to do it all over again, hopefully without any ripped sails.

I awoke to two spinnaker kites spread across the entire boat and galley, dinner being ready on the stove, a tired crew with very little sleep. I tried my hardest to cheer them up with "Krusty's Krispies" rice cakes and teas and coffees. We paused a few times to play air guitar and sing loudly to Queen (Yes, this was captured on video). 

The boat wasn't tidied up again until 10:00 PM and the crew had their first chance to do the daily tasks of running an organized boat. After all that, we are still leading the fleet in the distance to finish and I consider ourselves lucky this is the only damage we have had thus far compared to the other boats.

Hopefully, tomorrow will bring a little less excitement to allow the crew more rest and time to reflect on our AWESOME day!