A rare opportunity for a sports and adventure loving Senior Communications Officer to join the busy Clipper Round the World Yacht Race team and directly influence the success of its unique and highly inspirational global media campaigns.
We’re looking for candidates with a minimum of seven years Public Relations or Journalism experience within a relevant media organisation or brand. A keen news sense is essential as storytelling is a key part of the role, as are excellent writing skills, the ability to work quickly under pressure, and to tight deadlines, along with up to the minute practical experience of digital and social media.
This is an all purpose role. The successful candidate will manage external PR campaigns and also work as an in-house reporter, writing news stories for our website and with our video production company to produce digital content.
Knowledge and experience of sailing is desirable but not essential; however a passion for sport and adventure along with the ability to learn the job quickly is vital.
The nature of the Clipper Race and our business is diverse. We need demonstrable experience of landing widespread and quality news, lifestyle, sport and business stories. And the ability to write and proof creative and engaging copy is paramount. The Clipper Race Communications Team works globally so experience of far reaching campaigns is strongly desired.
Along with telling the story of the Clipper Race, the Communications Team works closely with Race Partners and therefore the candidate should be able to manage a wide variety of campaigns simultaneously.
Candidates must be motivated to work using their initiative. The role will involve travelling overseas for extended periods, plus extensive weekend and out of hours working during the race year, which can at times make this role an endurance challenge in its own right.
Communications team members will undergo basic Clipper Race on-water training to provide experience and insight into ocean racing demands, principles and nomenclature.
The Senior Communications Officer reports to the Head of Global Communications. Duties include but are not limited to the following key roles and responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Head of Global Communications to advise and support on the overall Communications strategy.
- Write effective copy on a wide range of Clipper Race aspects from press releases, web stories and daily race reports.
- Uncover the stories of our 700+ Race Crew to promote the unique nature of the Clipper Race.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key media and influencers.
- Manage specific Partnership Campaigns, for example Host Port and Team Partners, Fleet Partners and Official Suppliers.
- Support social media content development, feeds and response.
- Respond swiftly to enquiries from external media.
- Manage in-house photography and video shoots, acting as reporter for video and audio features, along with leading press calls and broadcast features.
- Produce and update content for the Race Press Pack and 360 magazine.
- Travel and work at agreed race stopovers (approximately two weeks in length) to manage race arrivals and departures (Facebook Live, photography, interviews with crew, skippers and members of the Race Team) along with managing stopover campaigns and media events.
- Provide UK office-based support for other members of the Communications Team while they are travelling and working in stopovers.
- Be ready to respond and support in the event of a crisis and follow the Crisis Management Plan alongside the Head of Communications and other departments.
- Provide timely and concise communication to all Clipper Race staff on internal and external announcements.
You will be required to:
- To support any activity outside these key roles and responsibilities to help maintain the efficient running of the company and to meet its obligations to stakeholders, including but not limited to: crew, partners and internal departments.
- Adhere to all internal approval procedures, seeking authority as appropriate.
- Behave in a professional manner at all times, including appearance, branded clothing as appropriate and general conduct.
- Do nothing, on or off-duty, to bring the company or the Clipper Race into ill repute.
- Have sufficient visas to be able to work in the UK, and be able to live within commutable distance of the Clipper Race HQ in Gosport, Hampshire.
To apply, please email your CV along with a covering letter explaining why you are the best candidate to take on this out-of-the-ordinary communications role, to Karla Graves, Head of Global Communications at email@example.com.
The application deadline is Friday 3 May 2019.
Salary depends on experience of candidate.
Candidates must be available for interview in the next couple of weeks, at the Clipper Race HQ in Gosport, Hampshire. Role to start as soon as possible, dependent on notice period.