Digital, Growth, Human endeavour, Media, Profile
The Clipper Race visits 14 markets across six continents over an eleven month duration.
Fans from 67 different countries go online or tune into their TV and radio stations to follow the progress of the race.
The Clipper Round the World Yacht Race broadcasts itself into millions of homes and thousands of boardrooms around the world through newspapers, consumer magazines, television news and feature programmes.
Online news and social networking sites bring the race to millions more people as dramatic footage or commentary is shared amongst colleagues, friends, family and supporters.
Media coverage of the Clipper Race spans news, sport,, lifestyle, business, travel and technology sectors, allowing race partners to reach new consumers, build relevance and grow their media profile.
TV channels such as BBC One in the UK, Sakshi TV in India and NBC in North America have broadcast coverage of the race in peak viewing times.
News publications such as The Sunday Telegraph, China Daily and Wall Street Journal have run stories updating readers on race action, human interest stories and the ensuing dramas and triumphs as they unfold.
On board satellite communication systems are embedded in each yacht to provide crew members of various nationalities and occupations a way to communicate their on-going adventure as it unfolds via video footage, images, blogs and telephone interviews. These are subsequently shared with the world through the living mediums of YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.
- 1,250 news items
- 650mn opportunities to see
- £4.7mn advertising value equivalent
- £14mn PR value
- News media coverage has doubled race-on-race for the past three editions.
- 1.8bn unique audience base.
- 11.5m clipperroundtheworld.com page views.
- 7600+ media articles.
- 3.6m Race Viewer page views.
- Equivalent advertising values (EAV) exceed £112 million GBP – trebling the value achieved in 2013-14.
- Total PR value of more than £336 million (GBP).
- In addition to the UK, top international coverage has come from USA, Australia, Ireland, France, South Africa, Netherlands, Canada, China and Vietnam.
- News appeared in 3,561 unique outlets with a combined potential audience reach in excess of 1.82 billion people.
- On average, each news outlet carried 10 items creating almost 18 billion opportunities to see news coverage around the world.
- Social media has grown substantially with Facebook followers up by more than 60% and generating over 490,000 Facebook article likes.
- 720 million potential impressions were generated on Twitter which also produced a healthy tweet to re-tweet ratio of 2.8.
- The award-winning clipperroundtheworld.com website generated 75% more visits from 61% more unique visitors.
- The Virtual Clipper Race on-line game attracted 60,599 players. There were over 4.5 million page views during the opening period.
- Two six-part TV series’ named ‘Race of Their Lives’ distributed by BBC Worldwide.
The Clipper Race operates in a unique way which has helped promote Qingdao. Firstly it lasts a relatively long time, with a yacht decorated with Qingdao branding going around the world for a year. Secondly, the media coverage also contributes greatly to spreading Qingdao’s name and influence throughout the globe.