A unique opportunity exists to join the Clipper Race in order to complete a full circumnavigation as a Professional Mate on board a Clipper 70 race yacht. You will support the Skipper, who is in charge of a team of approximately 60 crew, with up to 22 crew on board at any one time.
Being the nominated Additional Qualified Person on board, you will work closely with the Skipper around the world and be responsible for the vessel in any situation where the Skipper is unable to take command. You will be fully supported by the Clipper Race Team at all times.
You should be an experienced sailor and be passionate about the development of people, both personally and practically, to help create a competent and competitive race team. You will be expected to play a key role in ensuring standards of safety are maintained to the highest levels along with the coaching and developing Race Crew around the world.
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore with commercial endorsement
- ENG1 Seafarer’s medical certificate
- RYA Diesel Engine
- STCW Basic Safety Training
- Accredited Food Safety and Hygiene Certificate (Level 2)
- UK work visa (Clipper Ventures is unable to sponsor visa applications for this position)
- In addition, a RYA Cruising Instructor qualification is highly desirable
Responsibilities include:Supporting the Skipper in all aspects of running the vessel
- To ensure safety and seamanship is maintained to a high standard
- To assume control of the vessel as instructed by the Clipper Race Director
- Race Crew training and development around the world
- Maintaining the vessel to the highest operating standards
- In port duties including; corporate sailing, events and assisting the Clipper Race Team
- Excellent communication skills (fluent English, spoken and written)
- Offshore sailing, training and development
- Racing experience (highly desirable)
Highly competitive package
Recruitment for the Clipper 2023-24 Race AQP role is now complete, further applications will now be for the 2025-26 edition of the race.
If you are interested in the role for the next edition, please contact [email protected]