It takes an exceptional candidate to skipper in the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race. We are not just looking for the best yacht racer or the best sailor, we are also looking for talented and qualified individuals with proven strong leadership and instructing backgrounds. You will be in charge of a team of approximately 60 Race Crew, up to 22 of whom will be on board at any one time. You, along with the support of a professional mate on-board, have a unique opportunity to develop the different personalities in your team to create a competitive entry in the challenge of a lifetime.
To lead a team of novice crew of all ages and abilities, facilitating their race around the world.
- Ongoing crew training and development throughout the race
- Team structure and role allocation
- Safety and seamanship
- Standard maintenance of an ocean racing yacht
- Interface between race team and crew
- Representing boat sponsors, including media and corporate responsibilities.
- UK MCA Recognised Yachtmaster Ocean with commercial endorsement or IYT (International Yacht Training) Master of Yachts
- ENG1 Seafarer's medical certificate
- STCW Proficiency in Medical Care
- STCW Basic Safety Training
- Approved Engine Course (AEC)
- GMDSS GOC with sat-com endorsement
- UK Work Visa
- RYA Yachtmaster Instructor or Cruising Instructor (highly desirable)
Note: Qualifications in progress may be accepted under certain circumstances.
- Fluent English (spoken and written)
- Excellent interpersonal, man management and leadership skills [please give examples in your covering letter]
- Ability to build, inspire and motivate teams
- Strong communications skills
- Significant offshore/ocean experience (c. 30,000nm), with a significant proportion in command
- Significant time in command of crewed yachts greater than 50-foot
- Strong background in sail training
- Commercial and media awareness and a professional image
- Offshore yacht racing experience and competitive nature
- High level of seamanship, practical yacht husbandry and maintenance skills
Recruitment for the Clipper 2023-24 Race Skipper role is now complete, further applications will now be for the 2025-26 edition of the race.
If you are interested in the role for the next edition, please do still get in touch. Send your CV and a covering letter stating why you would make a great race skipper/ leader. Please contact Race Director, Mark Light [email protected].