It takes an exceptional candidate to skipper in the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race. We are not just looking for the best yacht racer or the best sailor, we are also looking for talented and qualified individuals with proven strong leadership and instructing backgrounds. You will be in charge of a squad of approximately 50 crew, up to 20 of whom will be on board at any one time. With no professional mate or engineer on board, it is up to you to develop the skills and personalities in your team to create a competitive entry in the challenge of a lifetime.
To lead a team of novice crew of all ages and abilities, facilitating their race around the world.
- Ongoing crew training and development throughout the race
- Team structure and role allocation
- Safety and seamanship
- Standard maintenance of an ocean racing yacht
- Interface between race team and crew
- Representing boat sponsors, including media and corporate responsibilities.
- UK MCA Recognised Yachtmaster Ocean with commercial endorsement or IYT (International Yacht Training) Master of Yachts
- ENG1 Seafarer's medical certificate
- STCW Proficiency for Persons in Charge of Medical Care Aboard Ships
- GMDSS GOC/ROC certificate with sat-com endorsement
- RYA Yachtmaster Instructor or Cruising Instructor
Note: Qualifications in progress may be accepted under certain circumstances.
- Fluent English (spoken and written)
- Excellent interpersonal, man management and leadership skills [please give examples in your covering letter]
- Ability to build, inspire and motivate teams
- Strong communications skills
- Significant offshore/ocean experience (c. 30,000nm), with a significant proportion in command
- Significant time in command of crewed yachts greater than 50-foot
- Strong background in sail training
- Commercial and media awareness and a professional image
- Offshore yacht racing experience and competitive nature
- High level of seamanship, practical yacht husbandry and maintenance skills
- UK Work Visa.
To apply for the role please send your CV and a covering letter stating why you would make a great race skipper/ leader. Please contact Deputy Race Director Dan Smith firstname.lastname@example.org.