Brand awareness, Business development, Digital, Experiential / Engagement, Hospitality, Product placement, Sales
To increase the global brand awareness of the Old Pulteney story and award-winning taste through a unique multi-platform marketing campaign.
Old Pulteney’s participation in the Clipper Race has raised its international profile and recruited new fans in the form of journalists, distributors, customers and race crew from all over the world, resulting in a unique team of ambassadors and a powerful legacy for the brand’s future.
- Twelve new distribution points in Sydney alone.
- Coverage on Australia’s Channel 7 National News as a standalone TV 30sec article.
- Trade and consumer press coverage in Singapore, including a feature in the Singapore Today newspaper.
- Schiphol Airport gave Old Pulteney brand visibility and engagement opportunities with three million people.
- 76 cases of the new collection sold in one month.
- Exposure to 5.1 million people through airport travel retail stands.
- Complete sell out of all
single malt brands on board Nordic VR whisky fair.
15.6 million impressions on Facebook and Twitter.
- 1,950 messages submitted to the digital support board.
- 38,329 views of the Old Pulteney Clipper Race microsite.
- 379,507 views of the Clipper Race highlights page, www.oldpulteney.com.
- Over one million impressions of the dual branded promotional graphic.
- All 3000 cases of Navigator Whisky sold out in the race year, new bottling of 3000 cases for the following year.
- 7% increase in unprompted brand awareness of Old Pulteney.
- 18.3% year-on-year increase in volume sales in the UK.
- 15.4% year-on-year increase in value in the UK.
- Media achievements
- 689 individual news items.
- £4.78 PR value.
- 244 million opportunities to see.
- Top five countries by media volume: UK, USA, Australia, China and Singapore.
The ‘Maritime Malt’ Old Pulteney took a creative and proactive approach with its activation to deliver a fully integrated campaign that included:
- New product launch of Navigator whisky coincided with Clipper Race partnership.
- Tasting/Sampling tents where thousands of drams were served to visitors.
- Bottles of Old Pulteney were gifted by the Clipper Race to international dignitaries and used for promotional giveaways to race supporters.
- Sponsorship of key receptions such as the GREAT Britain networking events, enabling a business market to be targeted.
- Creation of a limited edition, commemorative Clipper Race bottle of Old Pulteney.
- All Old Pulteney tubes sold worldwide during race year included the Clipper Race logo.
- Promotional spinnaker sail
shoot in Cape Town used as main creative for:
- Old Pulteney advertising, including Tesco Monthly magazine.
- In-shop point of sail material and window displays across nationwide Odd Bins retailers.
- Nationwide advertising campaign on billboards, A3 back-lit boards, and shelf talkers in the run up to Christmas.
- Promotional stands in travel retail stores in major airports: Gatwick, Edinburgh, Johannesburg and Montego Bay Jamaica.
- Feature stand on board Nordic TR – Viking Line as part of the Cinderella Whisky Fair.
- European on-pack competition on 50,000 bottles to win a place on board Old Pulteney for the homecoming leg of the Clipper Race.
- US on-pack competition to win an all-expenses paid trip to San Francisco to sail on board Old Pulteney, meet the skipper and crew, and attend an exclusive Old Pulteney tasting masterclass.
- Whisper campaign launched prior to partnership announcement.
- Development of a fully responsive dual branded microsite. Site supported sponsorship, hosted competitions and shared galleries/blogs from the race.
- Suit of dual branded digital assets to support sponsorship.
- Development of a social and digital message board app for friends, family and fans to send messages of support to the boats.
- Promotion of partnership via Old Pulteney CRM platform.
- Quarterly eDM distributed to 7,500 active Old Pulteney fans, sharing news of the entry in the Clipper Race.
- One month digital ad campaign on Yachts and Yachting Online.
- Sailing experiences followed by sampling events for international distributors, customers and media to reinforce global brand relationships.
- Ground breaking, bespoke pop-up shops in Schiphol International and Edinburgh Airports were created to mirror the shape of the Old Pulteney yacht. With a real size helm surrounded by video walls showing footage from the Clipper Race, customers were bought closer to the feeling of being on board.
- Port sponsorship of the Singapore stopover, including extensive branding of The Old Pulteney Navigator Cup Prize Giving, at which various InterBev brands were promoted and sampled.
Media and PR:
- Exclusive naming rights for Race 7: The Old Pulteney Navigator Cup. The race ran from Brisbane to Singapore, and included daily race report and social media references for more than three weeks.
- Whisky master classes for media and key distributors in key global markets, including Europe, Australia, Asia and the USA.
- 60 true brand ambassadors from the Clipper Race crew.
It has been thrilling to be involved with the race but crucially, the scope that the sponsorship has given us from a marketing perspective has been incredible and we have been as creative and proactive as possible with our activation.
We've delivered a fully integrated campaign across outdoor, digital and PR, as well as taking the Clipper Race message on-pack with a global competition to win a place with our crew on the last leg of the race.
There have been some really special initiatives too, such as the release of Old Pulteney Navigator to kick off the campaign and our stunning Old Pulteney Clipper Race commemorative bottle which is on shelf to celebrate the end of the race.
The Clipper Race Old Pulteney sampling bar we created at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport was ground-breaking for both the brand and the airport, and the message board our digital team created to allow friends and family to send messages of support to every crew in the race was a real hit online.
Sampling is one of the best ways to introduce whisky to new drinkers, so we have again made the most of every Clipper Race stopover across the globe, and our pop-up marquee and brand team have served up thousands of drams of Old Pulteney 12 year old and Navigator throughout the race. The feedback has been wonderful and has undoubtedly done a great job in raising our profile and recruiting new Old Pulteney fans all over the world.