GREAT Britain finishes Race 3 in fifth place

24 November 2015

GREAT Britain is now in Albany, Western Australia, after crossing the Wardan Whip finish line at 0136 UTC (0936 local time) today, Tuesday.

The team finished just behind Garmin after a duel between the two boats over the course of the race.

Peter Thornton, Skipper of GREAT Britain, said the conditions over the leg, especially last few days, had been very tiring for the crew.

"With the storm on day two coming very early on in the race, it has been a tiring and at times frustrating leg, and we thought we might be able to beat Garmin up until last night.

"The crew are very motivated and run the boat themselves, so that was really good to see as at times, the cold, wet, gusty conditions were relentless. Fronts were coming through every few days so we had to keep pushing the boat hard while keeping up individual motivation.

"We thought we might have been able to pip Garmin, and that challenge certainly kept the adrenaline pumping hard. In the end, it comes down to luck sometimes, and there are still plenty of races to go in the series," added Pete.

GREAT Britain round the world crew member John Charles sailed into Albany today having re-joined the race following treatment after injuries sustained on Race 1.

He said crossing the Southern Ocean had been a big physical and mental challenge, but was incredible to experience the waves, wind and wildlife of the Southern Ocean.

"After hearing so much about the beauty of the Southern Ocean, to see the size of the waves, surf along in the Roaring Forties and have albatross fly nearby was wonderful," he said.

"I was very happy to be back on board having missed Race 2, and was able to get involved with most things following my injury. Everyone really looked out for me, which was really appreciated," he added.

Race 3 crew member Bill Lucas is a former Olympic rower who didn't have sailing experience before he took on the challenge as a GREAT Britain ambassador. He was relieved to be on land and said it had been a tough, long 24 days.

"Everything I had prepared myself for it to be didn’t materialise, which took me by surprise, and other things were challenging.

“Mentally it was tough to get into the routine and life on board with the watches, and I suffered a lot from seasickness as well which was tough.

“Having to keep going after you had done a really tough bit was hard, as normally in rowing I’d go home and rest, but you can’t do that on the boat and have to get up again four hours later and do it all again.

“A couple of times it got a little bit hairy on deck, and as Pete was so relaxed I calmed down a bit.

“I spent a lot of time up on the foredeck where all the adrenaline was pumping, which I enjoyed.

“I really enjoyed being in a bigger team, and you find your pattern. They are a really good group, and I just tried to slot in and be useful were I could.

“I am looking forward to some food and a shower and some feature comforts. It feels strange to be walking on land,” Bill added.

Join The Race